Thursday, April 10, 2008

John Adams and a couple of interesting things I've learned

Let me start by saying that in school I HATED history. I thought it to be highly boring. Once i started to travel as an adult and visited places like DC, Williamsburg, Gettysburg, etc. I just fell in love with American history. I love to learn about it and wish that my history teachers made it more interesting for me.

I've been watching the John Adams mini series on HBO -- it's really very well done. I've learned a lot. I have also been researching John Adams on the internet to learn more. Two things that I learned that I really found interesting. . .

On the first night that John Adams spent in the White House (he was the first president to live there) he wrote a letter to his wife Abigail and one of the things that he wrote was:

"Before I end my letter, I pray Heaven to bestow the best of Blessings on this House and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise Men ever rule under this roof."

How sad to see that there has been much dishonesty and corruption passing through that house.

The other fascinating thing that I learned was that Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died on July 4th, 1826. Thomas Jefferson passed only hours before John Adams.

So there are a couple of facts for you to use should you ever get on Jeopardy~

1 comment:

KC said...

Jeopardy. LOL I could only wish. HI ALEC TREBEC!!! LOL

my neighbor and I were just talking about school. How I HATED social studies and history, but loved democracy and economic. Weird, because I really dont enjoy any of it anymore. ROFL